It's been quite a while since I wrote my last entry, and I guess that must be because I haven't really had a very eventful summer! The truth is, this summer has been one of the most boring of my life! I've spent most days waking up late, going for runs or doing bosu work outs, latch hooking, or watching TV. This is also the first summer since I started working that I haven't had a full-time job (with the City of Calgary). So why am I not working full-time in Calgary you may ask?
Well, last year before I left for Spain I decided that when I came back in June I would go back to Lethbridge. My reasoning was that after being away for 9 months I would surely just want to be at home. Well, well I could not have been more wrong about that! I now realize that after being away, the only thing I want to do is explore and go out and see my friends that I was deprived from all of last year! Luckily I did get the chance to go up to Calgary 3 times for 4+ days each time, which was great but it still didn't feel like enough! If I hadn't found my job I would have just gone up there until school started.
But, I did find a job! After about a month in total of searching, Mom actually found something appealing (it wasn't really at first). It was a serving/kitchen job at a local seniors residence here in town. I really wasn't too sure about it, but she convinced me to give it a try and at least drop off a resume. So I did, and I ended up getting the job a couple days later!
I've been working there for just over a month now, and I'm definitely liking it a lot! I really am still surprised that I enjoy it as much as I do, considering I've always loved the hustle and bustle of working with kids and the lodge is a lot slower paced. I think what I love so much is seeing the residents around every day, hearing their stories, maybe being there for them in some way. Another thing that's really great is that I work with a pretty nice group of people. Everyone seems to get along pretty well and they enjoy and are proud of the work they do.
I've realized over the last month that in lots of ways, seniors are really like kids. They love to tell you stories, and show you things and, for the most part, they have no problem telling you that they have a problem with something (usually dinner.. haha). I feel like this new job is going to help me gain new skills for dealing with different types of people, which is a skill I know will be useful going into Education at U of L.
Yay, a blog post! Although, sort of a depressing one, considering. =P
ReplyDelete