Today Steph and I planned to head to the market in Valpo to pick up some fresh produce since the market here in Viña runs Wednesdays and Saturdays. Even though you can get pretty good produce in the grocery stores here, the public markets sell the fruits and veggies much, much cheaper and the freshness is incredible. Steph was looking for ingredients to make a lentil soup and paprika chicken on top of quinoa. The market in Valpo is one block down from my university (PUCV) but Steph goes to a different uni here in Viña and hadn't experienced this market yet...

The physical building where the market is located is mustard yellow with dark green trim and is really run down looking (I didn't think to take a photo of it!) On my first day here, Paula pointed out that on the second floor there are a bunch of really cheap restaurants that serve a menú which includes a starter, main course with side and sometimes dessert (on average 3000 CLP = $6.50CAD). I couldn't even believe that there would be any restaurants in such a grimy looking building! Since then, I've eaten there twice and both times it has been amazing!
The market happens not only on the main floor of the building where vendors selling fruits, veggies, cheeses, nuts, olives have booths side by side around the square layout of the building, but outside the building as well. Outside, the various vendors wrap around the whole building and up two blocks on one of the sides. They leave their product in crates on the street and unload it as the day passes. Some vendors play music, others shout out their deals to attract customers. All around you there are so many colors, smells and sounds and people bumping past with their rolley carts or their giant bags made of old sugar sacks or dog food bags. It is really quite the experience! Since Steph was with me this time, I decided to take the opportunity to take a few photos. I made sure to ask the vendors if it was alright and all of them were super friendly. I complimented them on their beautiful produce and chatted about where the farms are located (very close by!)
The only thing I wasn't able to find that I was looking for, were the strawberries (frutillas). I ended up asking one of the vendors if the season had ended now and he told me that they are still harvesting them but the reason why I wouldn't find them today was because they pick them on Sundays. He told me the best day to buy them is Tuesday since they will be the freshest. Tomorrow I'll be heading back after school to find some :)
 |
| So many colors! |
 |
| Steph and the biggest bundle of celery I've ever seen! Only $1! |
 |
| Fresh basil, ají (Chilean hot pepper), eggplant, bell peppers |
 |
| Various types of peaches -- Here they can be peaches with or without hair :P |
 |
| Great greens |
 |
| This guy has some buddies... There is the market building on the right |
 |
| Hey there cat |
 |
| Success! Even bought flowers for the table :) |
Great photos, reminds me of the markets we saw in Costa Rica... everything looks so fresh and colorful... and flowers... awww! Thanks for sharing your experience! :)
ReplyDelete