This realization of mine that Spanish people don't see traveling the same way that most people at home do didn't just start this year. It started last summer when I spent July and August at Diana's house in Escarabajosa. Besides the volunteer camp I went to participate in for 3 weeks, the rest of the summer I was sort of bumming around the house during the day while Diana was at a course all day in Segovia. I helped Begoña (Diana's Mom) out whenever she needed it, but most times she insisted that I didn't help her! So, due to my high level of boredom and strong sense of adventure, I decided one night that the next day I would get a ride to the bus and make my way over to Madrid for the day. I took my Let's Go Spain book with me (for the metro map and food suggestions) and headed off. I should mention that Madrid is only TWO hours from Diana's house by bus! I had a great day, despite getting lost one or two times due to being directionally challenged, I saw almost all the most recommended sights in my book, and enjoyed the time alone to explore a foreign place. That night when I got back to Escarabajosa, Begoña dropped me off at the park where everyone usually hangs out. Everyone started asked me where I had been, and when I told them that I went to Madrid for the day, they asked "Alone??" and when I said "yes", most of them were shocked, like as if I had gone to a dangerous poorly known place. It's MADRID, the capital of their country, an internationally well-known city, full of tourists and minus pickpocketers, completely safe. I couldn't believe it you know...crazy.
That's just the way people are here though. They don't like to go anywhere alone (like bars, out for
walks, travel, etc.) and I think that's part of the reason why many of them don't like to or don't even care to travel anywhere, because they would first have to find someone to go with, plan the trip together, etc. I want to mention that this is a generalization, and that I have met plenty of Spanish people who have traveled, but, they are outnumbered by the ones who haven't. In my case, of course I would rather go with someone, have someone to take pictures, someone to talk to, someone to confirm my doubts, etc. but I'm not crazy enough to let that stop me from getting out into the world!In these past two months, something that so obviously confirmed my belief that Spaniards are homebodies, was when in one of my 9th grade classes, the teacher asked the class where they would go if they won the lottery. She went around the class asking each person, and about 50% of the class said "Nowhere", "Stay here", "Miranda de Ebro"...sad, sad, sad!! If I won the lottery, I would buy an around the world ticket and hit the road!! Out of the other 50% Only ONE girl said somewhere out of Spain and she said "Hollywood". Wow.
Now I honestly don't think that it's entirely their fault for not wanting to travel, because I think that Spanish society just doesn't value the idea of traveling. Why? Well, firstly because it's true that they have a super huge variety of scenery right here in their own country (beach, mountains, countryside, city, vineyards..) Also, most Spaniards tend to blame everything on the Franco dictatorship that was between 1939 and 1975. The truth is that that is really not that long ago at all. Spain is making changes slowly, extremely, incredibly slowly..but atleast there is some sign of effort.
On the other hand, one of my pet peeves is hearing people say "I can't". That applies to any person, from any country, at whatever age. I believe with my whole heart that if you really want to do something, you can do it. Of course sometimes it might be difficult, you'll have to make sacrifices, and there will always be roadblocks in the way, but they can be overcome. I also understand that people are naturally different, and that although I tend to be a go-getter, not all people are like that. I really am going somewhere with this...
Since arriving to Spain (2 months, and 1 week ago) I have been to see Diana 2 times in Escarabajosa and 1 time in Madrid. She has yet to come visit me in Miranda. I hate to think that it's because she doesn't care, because I know she does...but her priorities are in different places. Money wise, and
generally speaking. She tells me that she doesn't have any money to come see me, when it's just 20-30 euros round trip, which works out to the equivalent of like 2 shirts, or one pair of pants, that she probably has no problem buying. I've heard this excuse so many times, from so many people here and at home, and it is so puzzling to me every time. Here in Spain people are so concerned about material things (clothes, cell phones, cars, houses) that it's so easy for them to say that they can't afford a vacation. And I can't even begin to count the number of times I've had people assume that I must be rich to be able to come to Spain three times, when the truth is, the $1000 it costs to come to Spain, learn more about the world, different cultures, to appreciate my own culture, meet new people, discover myself, struggle, succeed, all of that for only $1000?? The cost of a new flat screen TV.
No comments:
Post a Comment