Well, I've been thinking about this for a while now...and even after taking the time to try and decide what I'm feeling, I'm still not sure that this blog will make sense/have any purpose at all. I really just want to get these little butterflies out of me! Ever since arriving to Spain and talking to Ariela about how we plan to spend each of our long weekends/vacation time, I've been getting this giddy/anxious/scared/excited little feeling every time I think about
me, Jenn Gallant, traveling throughout Europe. It's not like I've never traveled before, but for some reason Europe seems to scare the pants off me. I still don't know or understand where these feelings are coming from or what is going on here, but I have some up with a few possible reasons for all of this: It could be because for the first time since mine and mom's Costa Rica vacay (during which my grade 10 Spanish completely failed me) I'm going to be faced with a real language barrier. I guess that makes me pretty nervous, not being able to understand things, people, street signs...you know the whole shabang. Another thing I've realized is that I really admire people that have done Eurotrips that last months, because it is actually quite a bit of work you know organizing flights, trains, buses, looking for hostels, trying to selectively choose hostels that you hope won't have bed bugs... which brings me to another reason I'm nervous about my travels. I like things to be clean! I don't think I'm a clean freak to the extent of my mom (sorry mom!!) BUT I don't like to be in a dirty shower, or a bathroom that smells like pee, or be afraid to step on the floor in my bedroom wondering if it has
ever been cleaned. After mine and Ariela's 1 night stay in San Sebastian in a hostel that was not
that bad, I just wanted to go home to Miranda, get into the apartment and climb into my cozy cot! (haha!!) I guess I'm nervous that I'll spend an entire week wishing I was at home. Which in reality I know I won't do, it's really just the possibility that worries me.
But you know, on the other hand, besides those nervous and worried feelings I am so, so deeply excited to get out there! So many friends have been traveling throughout Europe, have gone to so

many different countries, soaked up so much history, and I am ready to do that too! I'm hoping to get as much advice as possible about places to go, stay, and visit so any help is welcome.
The first trip up is Rome with Mom December 19th-23rd. After she heads home I'll spend a few days with Diana and her family (including New Years) then I'll be heading out (either by myself or with Diana) up to Prague, Berlin and Amsterdam January 2-10. It's going to be short visits (2-3 days) in each city which I know won't be enough to see everything, but hopefully will inspire me to get back someday! Despite all these funny feelings, I know that these experiences will be ones I'll remember forever, and every time I try and figure out those butterflies, I end up coming to the conclusion that I am a very lucky girl to have the opportunity to be over here, to travel, teach, learn and live!!
(Awwwww......)
Ahhhh.... The Fear of the Unknown! I have absolutely no doubt that you will take Europe by storm and will make a difference where ever your travels take you!! Your smile can light up a dark room, your laughter is contagious, and your sense of wanting to see and do everything will help you through the cultural and language barriers!!
ReplyDeleteI am so very proud of you and that you have accomplished in 20 years what most people don't do in a lifetime!! Keep up this blog, you're doing a fantastic job and you ARE making a difference in the lives of the people there and the ones back home in Canada! I love you to the end of the Earth... and back!!! Momma xoxo
By the way... I forgive your terrible Spanish in Costa Rica (my how much you've improved since then!), yes... I am a clean freak, and I am soooo excited to see You, Spain and Rome in a few short weeks!! Look out Europe... here come the Blondes!! :)
ReplyDeleteYour blog is an insperation to us back home in Canada.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure the language barrier you speak of isnt as bad as you think. I remember us in PV Mexico, you were amazing.
You are amazing and I second what your mom says. You've accomplished so much in your short life. These memories of the places youve visited, the people youve met, the friendships youve made will be with you for the rest of your life. Youll be thrilled to have them when your old and can no longer travel. keep going kiddo and enjoy your youth and your remember whatever yucky thing you sleep in, step in or sit in, can be washed off....you are cleanable.
Keep going Jenn. I know we love you lots and are living vicariously thru you right now. Keep going.
Hugs and Tugs, The Benoits.
(sorry for the spelling, it never was my thing)
Jenn I am loving your blogs. I have always admired your adventurous nature and all that comes with it, but now I also admire your ability to write. You have talent in this area and I see more of it in your future outside the realm of personal blogs :-).
ReplyDeleteI think, in our own small ways, everyone can understand and empathize with your mishmash of feelings. New adventures and challenges are always an exciting mix of anticipated fun and a concern about our own ability to succeed in events unknown. No situation magnifies these feelings more than the first time we tackle something truly on our own. A time when we do not have the security of our parents or experienced guide or guardian to lay out the path for us, hold our hand or simply be there when we turn around. You fly or flop all on your own set of wings and that is both exhilarating and frightening at the same time.
So Jenn, know all those feelings are meant to be there. They are the insurance that make you think twice but, at the same time, they also gently nudge you forward.
You are taking advantage of a wonderful opportunity, one so many of us wish we had, and I have no doubt your wings will hold you up just fine ;-). Buckle up, anticipate a little turbulence, trust your pilot (you!)and ENJOY YOUR FLIGHT! OX
After you venture out, you'll wonder why you were so worried beforehand. It's the fear of the unknown. Once you are on your way, as they say in OZ, it's a piece of p***.
ReplyDeleteMom, Denise, Darcy and Roger! You are all so sweet! Reading these comments is inspiring! =D
ReplyDelete