December 24th: Since both my roommates (Ariela and Isabel) had left, Ariela set out for Eastern Europe, and Isa off to spend the holidays with her family, Mom and I were left at the apartment in Miranda. Very kindly, Jorge (neighbor) invited us to eat with his family on Christmas Eve. He assured me beforehand that him and his cousins could speak english so Mom wouldn't feel left out or uncomfortable (a plus!). On Christmas Eve, Mom and I went over to the main street (Calle la Estacion) here in Miranda to buy me a watch. Since we realized that most things were open, I suggested that we drop our purchases off and go out to a bar for a drink. Around 7pm we headed over to Fox (one of my favorite Mirandes bars) and to our surprise, the street was packed with dressed up Mirandeses having a beer or a glass of wine with their families (grandpa, grandma, kids, and dogs included). What Mom thought was pretty crazy is that they had been served in glass glasses and were out in the street! Of course I took this opportunity to scoop a Heineken class for the apartment... ;). After our casual drink in the streets of Miranda, Mom and I met up with Jorge and headed to his house for dinner (this is about 10pm now). At his house we met his sister, Olga, his cousin Raquel, and his aunt, uncle, dad, mom, and other cousin. We had a great dinner that included tons of seafood (not ideal for mom, but typical for the holiday season here) great cheese, lots of wine, lemon and clementine sorbet, chocolates for dessert, etc. etc. If I remember correctly we finished the night around 3:00am. Great food and great company made for a great Christmas Eve.
December 31st:
To ring in the New Year (Spanish style of course) a couple different things happened. By this time Mom had already headed home to Canada, and I was staying at Diana's until I left for Prague on the 2nd. First We relaxed at rested up for most of the day (or I did anyways, knowing that Spanish people love celebrating late into the night/morning/next afternoon, I needed to prepare myself) So I woke up late, ate lunch, slept again, and around 7 decided to shower and get ready with Diana and Soraya.
Anyhow, after the grape eating insanity, we headed out with a big group and went to Carbonero where we spent the night dancing, wishing happy new years to everyone, and just catching up. We eventually headed home around 8am, which I think was early considering not many people had left before us... crazy spaniards.
January 1st: Well, after a long, but fun night/morning out on the town, I was woken up by Soraya coming into my room around 2:30 asking me if I was getting up soon because we had to go eat. At this point I swear I was thinking "Again???" But I just said "Yep, getting up." I got downstairs, showered and got dressed in time to get back over to grandparents house, to see yet another giant amount of food waiting for us. Now, I think most Canadians would agree that after a really fun night out, the best thing you could have is a good breakfast: bacon, eggs, orange juice, etc etc. Well, of course I shouldn't have expected this from my milk and cookie breakfast eating spanish family. Instead, I saw MORE seafood, more prawns, more angulas (which according to my translation,
Conclusion: Wonderful, incredibly different Christmas experience, something I valued and appreciated, but next Christmas I'll look forward to a good old fashioned turkey with mashed potatoes dripping with gravy!! oh ya. and pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, stuffing.....
Ok... I have to say that this was one of the BEST Christmas experiences I've ever had and I was so happy to have shared most of it with you, Jenn!!! What a great country to be in to see how the locals celebrate... but to find out after that "Fish Spaghetti" is just cleverly disguised "BABY EELS" was NOT what I would have eaten for dinner here in Canada on Christmas Eve!! And I PROMISE... Christmas Dinner 2010 will be a Turkey Dinner complete with the works... and NO Angulas!!
ReplyDeleteKeep up your great blog, while most cannot be there to share the experiences with you... they can live them through your entries!! Love you... Momma Bear xoxoxo